Saturday, January 22, 2011

nyc quickie

I unexpectedly had to go to nyc for work on Thursday. Unfortunately I didn't even have time to hang out or anything. I at minimum had planned to swing by Muji to get some replacement fountain pen ink cartridges, but I didn't have time. With a little more notice I might have planned to stay the weekend. The funny thing was realizing I hadn't taken a taxi to or from the airport in so many years. I usually take public transport or the NY Airport Service bus. It's much less expensive.

My meeting was at the World Financial Center and I got a glimpse of the apartment complex where I used to live. I was saying it had been 10 years since I lived there and I had to correct myself when I realized it had been nearly 20 years. Suddenly I feel so old!  My life was kind of a mess back then. I somehow just barely scraped by in everything I did. Now i just think very differently about things. My sense of "value" and "cost" and "enough" are way different. I still have expensive tastes, but I don't act on them as impulsively as I used to. I paid off my largest student loan last year and don't have a tremendous amount of remaining debt to pay off.

2011 is the year of saving aggressively. Actually I have a 5 year plan which should put me in a very good position, but like all plans, it assumes that certain things will not change and I have a feeling that *everything* could change. After all, 5 years is a long time. But for now, this is what I'm doing. The goal is to save $100,000. Some of it will be my emergency fund. Some of it will be to buy or build a home. The strategy is to put a ton of my income aside in savings and then assuming everything is on track, put a chunk of that into investments every 6 months. What I'm going to invest in, I haven't even thought through yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

No comments: